Monday, October 21, 2013

Adjectives with The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin

The little firsties and I are still working on learning how to identify adjectives.  We did a fun activity today with one of my favorite Halloween books:The Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin. I love this story about a little square pumpkin who doesn't fit in until he saves the day. This book not only teaches children that they should not judge others by the way they look, but it is also full of adjectives! I was so glad I thought of a way to tie it in to our curriculum rather than simply using it as a read aloud.  My stack of Halloween picture books I want to read aloud is way to loud to get to them all!

Big AppleBefore we read the story we reviewed adjectives by brainstorming adjectives that described a pumpkin, an ice cream cone and an apple.  After that I started readingThe Legend of Spookley the Square Pumpkin. Each time the girls heard an adjective I asked them to hold up a finger.  Every couple of pages we stopped reading and listed the adjectives they found on the board.  My class did so well finding adjectives in this book. I was impressed that many of them were able to identify many more adjectives in the book then I thought they would be able to.



What fun fall activities are you doing with your class?




No comments:

Post a Comment